What counts as a reasonable period for a breastfeeding break?
Author: Jessica Sussman
The length of breastfeeding breaks can vary and may sometimes coincide with regular breaks or lunch periods. The act of expressing milk generally takes 15 to 20 minutes. But employers should keep in mind other factors must be considered in determining what constitutes a reasonable break, including:
- The time it takes to walk to and from the lactation space, and the wait if any to use the space;
- Whether the employee has to retrieve her supplies from another location;
- Whether the employee has to set up her pump if a pump is not provided, and the efficiency of the pump;
- The location of the sink to clean her hands and the pump equipment when she has completed pumping; and
- The time it will take to store her milk.