What steps can a retailer take to protect the workplace from violence and crime?
Author: Beth P. Zoller, XpertHR Legal Editor
To prevent workplace violence and crime, a retailer should take the following steps:
- Understand legal obligations to provide a safe workplace under federal and state law;
- Implement physical changes to protect retail workers like security systems and video monitoring equipment;
- Train employees and supervisors on safety measures;
- Establish contingency plans, including security and communication protocols for responding to acts of violence;
- Require late night workers dealing with valuable goods to work in pairs or groups; and
- Maintain adequate records.