What terms should be included in a written job offer?
Author: Melanie J. Perez-Vellios, VP Group LLC
To best protect an employer, a written job offer should clearly and concisely set forth the key terms relating to the job offer and prospective employment. These terms include:
- Identification of the parties;
- Job title;
- Job description;
- Starting salary (but do not state for a specific length of time);
- Start date;
- Working hours;
- Any preconditions to hiring;
- Any restrictive covenants; and
- Deadline to respond to the offer.
If applicable, the employer should also include a reference to related documents (e.g., employee manual/handbook) and a statement that the employment is at-will.