Author: Meryl Gutterman, Nukk-Freeman & Cerra, PC
The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) is a complicated law and it is critical for supervisors to understand the basics in order to be able to properly handle FMLA requests, questions and issues that may arise.
This Supervisor Briefing examines the law and best practices for understanding the FMLA and it covers the following topics:
- FMLA 101
- Receiving an Employee's Request for Leave;
- Notifying Employees of Their FMLA Leave Rights
- When Must an Employee Provide a Medical Certification?
- Evaluating FMLA Requests;
- May FMLA Leave Be Taken in Parts?
- Reinstating an Employee Returning From FMLA Leave
- Curbing FMLA Abuse;
- Test Yourself.