Managing an Employee Rule Breaker - Supervisor Briefing
A supervisor is tasked with the often dueling responsibilities of ensuring a productive, profitable, and effective workforce while at the same time enforcing rules and policies. It can be difficult to maintain normal business operations when dealing with an employee who routinely breaks rules, no matter how small or innocuous the infraction may seem. A supervisor needs to be prepared to:
- Educate employees on the required policies, practices and procedures;
- Implement and consistently enforce all rules and policies; and
- Determine what, if any, discipline to impose for any rule or policy violation.
By following a few simple guidelines, a supervisor can appropriately address workplace issues and encourage productive practices in all employees.
This Supervisor Briefing addresses the law and best practices for managing an employee rule breaker, as follows:
- Communicating Expectations to Employees
- Investigating a Possible Rule Infraction
- Responding to Rule Breaking
- Disciplining a Top Performer
- Documenting and Imposing Discipline
- Test Yourself