Handle an OSHA Citation
- After OSHA inspects a workplace, it will go back to the area office and begin to issue citations for any found violations. The citations will come in the mail a few weeks after the inspection is completed.
- Citations come in many forms, but the five main citations are: Willful, Serious, Other-than-Serious, Repeat, and De Minimis.
- Upon receipt of a citation, an employer must post it, unedited, in the correct posting spot and then has the choice of either paying the fine and fixing the violation or filing a Notice of Contest.
- If an employer chooses to fight the citation, it has 15 working days to write a Notice of Contest, which is basically a detailed letter that states what is being contested.
- Citation contests are heard by the Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission (OSHRC), an independent agency separate from OSHA.