- An employer should establish a policy prohibiting discrimination against individuals on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.
- An employer may want to hold diversity workshops to help send a message of tolerance in the workplace.
- Employees should be assured that they can file a complaint of discrimination or harassment on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity without fear of retaliation.
- Employees who are responsible for harassment or discrimination against individuals based on their sexual orientation and gender identity should be disciplined accordingly.
- An employer should be mindful of state laws which consider sexual orientation and gender identity a protected category under state discrimination and harassment laws.