Prevent National Origin Discrimination
- National origin discrimination involves treating job applicants or employees unfavorably because such individuals are from a particular country or part of the world, are a certain ethnicity, or have a certain accent or manner.
- An employer should incorporate national origin discrimination and harassment into its discrimination and harassment policies.
- All preemployment inquiries and hiring processes should be free of national origin bias.
- An employer should train all supervisors, managers and employees to avoid ethnic slurs and stereotypes which may lead to claims of national origin discrimination.
- An employer may want to consider providing diversity training to all employees which will promote an atmosphere of tolerance, and decrease the potential for national origin discrimination claims.