Prevent Pregnancy Discrimination
- In order to prevent pregnancy discrimination, an employer should develop and implement a policy prohibiting discrimination against pregnant women in accordance with the Pregnancy Discrimination Act and Title VII and various state and local laws.
- Employers should provide training to all supervisors and employees that pregnancy discrimination is strictly prohibited and make sure that pregnant employees receive fair and equal treatment in the workplace.
- An employer should thoroughly investigate all claims of pregnancy discrimination and handle the matter with sensitivity and discretion.
- Employers should make sure that pregnant employees receive proper leave time if required under federal and state disability laws as well as family and medical leave laws.
- It is best practice for an employer to provide reasonable accommodations to pregnant employees if doing so is feasible.