Search Employee Vehicles
- An employer may generally search an employee's personal vehicle parked on the employer's property if employees are notified that by entering employer property, employees agree that their vehicles are subject to search. Thus, an employer should have a policy that puts employees on notice of the employer's right to search employee vehicles on the employer's property. An employer may also want to post signs in the employee parking area reminding employees of the employer's right to search employee vehicles.
- An employer may not search employee personal vehicles if the vehicles are parked on a public street.
- An employer has a right to search employer-provided vehicles used by employees at their discretion.
- Before conducting any search, it is best practice for employers to have a suspicion of job-related misconduct and investigate the credibility of its sources related to the misconduct to assure that the search is necessary.
- Any vehicle searches conducted by the employer should be limited in scope.