About Beth ZollerI am the legal editor for the discrimination, affirmative action, harassment, retaliation, employee privacy, and employee handbooks/work rules/employee conduct content in the employee management section of XpertHR US. Prior to joining XpertHR, I practised law for more than 10 years representing employers with respect to employment discrimination and harassment claims, contractual disputes, restrictive covenant issues, family and medical leave, wage and hour disputes and a variety of other employment-related claims.
Some of the topics I cover for XpertHR include:
Sexual Harassment in the Workplace
Social Media at Work
Author archive | Beth Zoller
Beth Zoller March 31, 2020
On March 27, 2020, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) posted a webinar to its website referencing valuable employer advice and tips to address the coronavirus (COVID-19) in the workplace while complying with Title VII and other federal antidiscrimination laws.… continue
Beth Zoller March 24, 2020
The coronavirus (COVID-19) is shaking everyone in the US and around the globe to their core as Americans worry about their health, jobs, finances and future. Social distancing is likely making everyone feel anxious, insecure and disconnected from their daily… continue
Beth Zoller February 10, 2020
Just as new parents scramble to babyproof their homes when they have a toddler by making sure the toddler doesn’t touch a hot stove or electrical outlet, eat the dog’s food or ruin their sibling’s homework, it is critical for… continue
Beth Zoller January 27, 2020
As 2020 gets under way, employers must recognize the strategic and compliance challenges their workplaces face. With respect to strategic challenges, employers must understand how societal, cultural and technological changes create employer challenges and how to connect HR strategy to… continue
Beth Zoller January 16, 2020
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal…I have a dream that my four… continue
Beth Zoller December 5, 2019
Having a workplace holiday party and celebrating the holidays with colleagues can be a great way to encourage team camaraderie, thank employees for their hard work and create a more festive atmosphere. However, if an employer is not cautious, it… continue
Beth Zoller November 8, 2019
Second chance hiring is the notion of hiring individuals with a criminal record and providing them with a second chance. As detailed below, second chance hiring can have significant benefits for employers. Recently JPMorgan Chase announced that it is “expanding… continue
Beth Zoller October 28, 2019
With the end of the year rapidly approaching, it is crucial for employers and HR to revisit and reassess their employee handbook and see if it needs to be updated or amended in any way for 2020. New laws and… continue
Beth Zoller October 21, 2019
October is Global Diversity Awareness Month and a chance to focus on the positive impact diversity and inclusion can have on a workforce. Although US workplaces have come a long way when it comes to diversity, there is still much… continue
Beth Zoller September 12, 2019
With 2020 fast approaching, it comes as no surprise that employers will face new and emerging HR challenges and obstacles when it comes to complying with federal, state and local laws as well as developing, maintaining and enforcing workplace policies… continue
Get Social with XpertHR
- Performance Management: The Importance of Being Honest October 11, 2012
- What Skills Do CHROs Need to Bring to the Table in 2016? January 29, 2016
- Reduce Workplace Absenteeism With Five Simple Steps June 1, 2015
- SHRM 2015: How Does HR Thrive? June 30, 2015
- Why ‘Ban the Box’ Trend Has Huge Impact on Employers December 17, 2015
- Coronavirus Poll Results: Remote Work, Workplace Closures and Changes in Pay April 1, 2020
- EEOC Provides COVID-19 Tips for Employer Compliance with Discrimination Laws March 31, 2020
- Addressing Employee Mental Health During the Coronavirus Pandemic March 24, 2020
- HIPAA and the Coronavirus: 7 Big Questions Employers Are Asking March 19, 2020
- Coronavirus: Challenges of a Temporary Remote Workforce and Ensuring Business Continuity March 17, 2020
- Robert Teachout: Thank you for commenting on the vacation article. ...
- Thomasine H. Mitchell: What if I am a school teacher and my principal say...
- David Weisenfeld: That is true in the case of California's legaliza...
- David Weisenfeld: Thanks for your comment Fredrick. Tricky situation...
- Fredrick Carter: It will indeed be interesting to see how employers...
absence management age discrimination background checks ban the box business practices compliance discrimination diversity diversity and inclusion employee benefits employee classification employee communications employee engagement employee handbooks employee leaves employee rights equal opportunities equal pay executive pay flexible working FLSA FMLA Global HR global hr harassment health and safety HR strategy immigration joint employer layoffs minimum wage NLRB overtime paid sick leave reasonable accommodations recruiting recruiting and hiring religious accommodation salary history sex discrimination sexual harassment social media telecommuting wage and hour workplace violence