Archive | Business Leadership & Strategy RSS feed for this section
David Weisenfeld October 1, 2019
Many employees can point to a mentor in their workplace who played a crucial role in advancing their career and showing them the ropes. This mentor typically is a senior, or at least more experienced, employee who selflessly shared his… continue
David Weisenfeld July 23, 2019
“See you tomorrow.” It seems like the most innocuous of workplace partings you could possibly offer. And yet those words led to a major dustup last month that had some calling for a manager to be fired. After the New… continue
Linda Pophal June 12, 2019
HR leaders have long been exhorted to “think strategically” in order to get that coveted “seat at the table.” But strategic means different things to different people. In fact, HR leaders sometimes feel unnecessarily maligned—many, in fact, do think strategically… continue
Linda Pophal April 29, 2019
There’s much talk in HR circles these days about the importance of culture fit. Companies not only want to hire employees with the skills to do the job, they also want employees whose personalities and passions align with the organization.… continue
David Weisenfeld March 18, 2019
I’m always amused when employment lawyers trip over themselves each year at this time to blog about the risks of gambling and lost productivity with the always-popular NCAA basketball tournament. It’s akin to the famed quote from Casablanca when Captain… continue
Robert Teachout February 8, 2019
In today’s digital age, crossing international boundaries can happen as easily as clicking a link on a webpage. And as the ease of connecting around the globe increases, so too do the opportunities for employers to operate on a global… continue
Marta Moakley October 30, 2018
Legislators are realizing that working toward changing workplace cultures to be more inclusive, fair and equitable takes more than a one-hour supervisor training session scheduled every two years. The District of Columbia is the latest in a growing list of… continue
Linda Pophal September 26, 2018
It’s no secret that there can be a significant disconnect between the CEO (and C-suite) and HR leaders in many organizations. While HR is focused on ensuring s positive and supportive culture and boosting employee engagement, CEOs are much more… continue
David Weisenfeld June 19, 2018
“Too often we’re hearing I went to HR and nothing happened,” says Equifax HR Chief Coretha Rushing at the SHRM 2018 Annual Conference in Chicago. As a prime example, Rushing pointed to a large group of women at Nike turning… continue
Robert Teachout June 11, 2018
Despite the fact that getting a job with a living wage decreases the risk that an individual will commit another crime, society places many barriers to people with criminal records re-entering the workforce. Many state regulations have occupational licensing requirements… continue
Get Social with XpertHR
- Performance Management: The Importance of Being Honest October 11, 2012
- What Skills Do CHROs Need to Bring to the Table in 2016? January 29, 2016
- Reduce Workplace Absenteeism With Five Simple Steps June 1, 2015
- SHRM 2015: How Does HR Thrive? June 30, 2015
- Why ‘Ban the Box’ Trend Has Huge Impact on Employers December 17, 2015
- Sparked by US Women’s Soccer Team, 5 Steps Employers Can Take to Promote Equal Pay October 14, 2019
- How Reverse Mentoring Can Benefit Senior Leaders October 1, 2019
- 6 Open Enrollment Tips to Get Your Employees Ready September 23, 2019
- Next Stop for Employers – 2020 September 12, 2019
- 10 Key Steps to Take Before and After a Hurricane Hits September 10, 2019
- Robert Teachout: Thank you for commenting on the vacation article. ...
- Thomasine H. Mitchell: What if I am a school teacher and my principal say...
- David Weisenfeld: That is true in the case of California's legaliza...
- David Weisenfeld: Thanks for your comment Fredrick. Tricky situation...
- Fredrick Carter: It will indeed be interesting to see how employers...
absence management background checks ban the box business practices compliance discrimination diversity diversity and inclusion EEOC employee benefits employee classification employee communications employee engagement employee handbooks employee leaves employee rights equal opportunities equal pay executive pay flexible working FLSA FMLA Global HR global hr harassment health and safety HR strategy immigration joint employer layoffs minimum wage NLRB overtime paid sick leave reasonable accommodations recruiting recruiting and hiring retaliation salary history sex discrimination sexual harassment social media telecommuting wage and hour workplace violence