Archive | Employee Health & Safety RSS feed for this section
Melissa Gonzalez Boyce April 5, 2018
In the wake of the tragic shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, and the passionate marches soon after, the topic of guns is at the forefront of many conversations. No matter what side of the gun… continue
Marta Moakley March 12, 2018
With the human and economic costs of the opioid crisis dominating the headlines, the topic of how to deal with drug use in the workplace proved to be a popular topic at the 2018 SHRM Employment Law and Legislative Conference.… continue
Melissa Gonzalez Boyce February 20, 2018
This year’s flu season is setting dangerous records and people must take measures to protect themselves and their loved ones. Since the flu knows no boundaries, employers are not immune from the widespread flu outbreak affecting their employees and worksites.… continue
Beth Zoller December 20, 2017
Distracted driving and failing to be safe when on the road can be an employer’s worst nightmare. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) research reveals that approximately every 12 minutes someone dies in a car crash, every 10 seconds an… continue
Melissa Gonzalez Boyce November 9, 2017
As Hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria have demonstrated, hurricanes and other natural disasters can devastate people’s homes and livelihoods. However, while there is no way to prevent the unpredictable assault of these storms, technological advances and education now allow us… continue
Marta Moakley August 9, 2017
In 2017, the HR and employment law landscape in Florida has been changed by a number of new measures coming into effect, including: An amendment to the Florida insurance statute providing that a driver for a transportation network company, such… continue
Melissa Gonzalez Boyce May 31, 2017
As a series of tragic events in recent years illustrate, employers must confront the reality that they are not immune from workplace violence, including the risk of active shooter events. While that challenge may seem daunting, there are certain steps… continue
Melissa Gonzalez Boyce October 4, 2016
Now that the Zika virus has hit the US with confirmed cases of locally transmitted infections, employers face a real threat to the health of their employees and their business. Typically spread through the bites of infected mosquitoes and direct… continue
Melissa Gonzalez Boyce August 16, 2016
Ever since the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) released new reporting and recordkeeping rules, employers have been struggling to determine what they actually mean for their workplaces. Whether it is the various reporting requirements or the multiple effective dates,… continue
Melissa Gonzalez Boyce July 6, 2016
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) recently finalized rules on the electronic reporting of workplace injuries and illnesses. OSHA’s new reporting rules place significant burdens on employers that bring the potential for substantial economic liability and serious frustration. These… continue
Get Social with XpertHR
- Performance Management: The Importance of Being Honest October 11, 2012
- What Skills Do CHROs Need to Bring to the Table in 2016? January 29, 2016
- Reduce Workplace Absenteeism With Five Simple Steps June 1, 2015
- SHRM 2015: How Does HR Thrive? June 30, 2015
- Why ‘Ban the Box’ Trend Has Huge Impact on Employers December 17, 2015
- Hiring Those With Criminal Backgrounds: Leading the Conversation June 11, 2018
- Federal, State AND Local, Oh My! 5 Local Trends Challenging HR June 6, 2018
- Sexual Harassment Prevention: Planning for a Post-#MeToo Workplace May 30, 2018
- 5 Ways to Make Your Workplace More Veteran Friendly May 22, 2018
- 7 Questions to Consider Before Taking on an Unpaid Intern May 16, 2018
- David Weisenfeld: That is true in the case of California's legaliza...
- David Weisenfeld: Thanks for your comment Fredrick. Tricky situation...
- Fredrick Carter: It will indeed be interesting to see how employers...
- Keyrah: I am curious how some of these laws will be enforc...
- David Weisenfeld: Thanks for your comment and good point!...
absence management ACA background checks ban the box business practices compliance contingency planning discrimination diversity EEOC employee benefits employee classification employee communications employee engagement employee handbooks employee leaves employee rights equal opportunities equal pay executive pay FLSA FMLA global hr Global HR harassment HR strategy immigration joint employer layoffs mergers and acquisitions minimum wage NLRB overtime paid sick leave performance management reasonable accommodations recruiting retaliation sex discrimination sexual harassment social media telecommuting wage and hour workplace safety workplace violence