About Melissa SilverI am the legal editor for the employment offer, terms of employment, new hire paperwork, negligent hiring, onboarding and orientation, recordkeeping and minimizing liability content in the recruiting and hiring chapter of XpertHR US. Prior to joining XpertHR, I practiced law for 10 years. During the last eight years, I engaged in private practice and focused on the defense of clients in cases involving harassment, discrimination and retaliation claims, as well as the enforcement of restrictive covenants. I have successfully litigated cases before the New Jersey Superior Court, US District Court, the EEOC and the New Jersey Division on Civil Rights.
Author archive | Melissa Silver
Melissa Silver April 3, 2018
With the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) tripling its number of officers and quintupling the number of enforcement actions in 2018, employers need to be proactive and ensure that their Form I-9 practices are in compliance. Otherwise, employers can… continue
Melissa Silver March 13, 2018
In a packed room at the 2018 SHRM Employment Law and Legislative Conference in Washington D.C., Eric Meyer of FisherBroyles, LLP provided practical guidance for HR Professionals so that they can handle an ADA accommodation situation at their organization. Below… continue
Melissa Silver January 24, 2018
The quote “You never get a second chance to make a first impression,” rings true for employers looking to retain their new hires. New employees will likely form their opinions about an employer based upon first impressions received during the… continue
Melissa Silver November 14, 2017
Absent a written agreement stating otherwise, with the exception of Montana, employment relationships are presumed to be at-will. In other words, an employer can terminate an employee at any time for any reason, or for no reason, so long… continue
Melissa Silver October 9, 2017
Besides being famous actors, what else do Nicole Kidman, Hugh Jackman and Chris Hemsworth all have in common? They all have roots in Australia. While employers may want to track the next movie these actors are starring in, it’s even… continue
Melissa Silver June 1, 2017
Employers like noncompete agreements because they can restrict employees from working for a competitor not only during employment, but for a certain period of time after they leave the company. It’s an employer’s way to safeguard its position in its… continue
Melissa Silver May 2, 2017
Although the US and UK and legal systems share similar roots, employees in these countries are entitled to far different protections. In a recent XpertHR webinar, Philadelphia employment attorney Jonathan A. Segal, who heads the Duane Morris Institute, and London… continue
Melissa Silver March 8, 2017
What makes millennial workers different from those of other generations? Are they the spoiled, self-centered, instant gratification workers as sometimes portrayed, or are they the team-oriented, multi-taskers who are tech-savvy? While it’s possible they could have all of these attributes,… continue
Melissa Silver February 13, 2017
While advances in technology have improved the workplace by increasing productivity, these advances have also become a double-edged sword. Employees no longer need to be physically in their work location in order to send an email, attend a telephone conference… continue
Melissa Silver January 23, 2017
Ready or not, the time has come for all employers to use the new Form I-9. While employers were still permitted to use the prior form until January 21, 2017, the new form must now be used to verify the… continue
Get Social with XpertHR
- Performance Management: The Importance of Being Honest October 11, 2012
- What Skills Do CHROs Need to Bring to the Table in 2016? January 29, 2016
- Reduce Workplace Absenteeism With Five Simple Steps June 1, 2015
- SHRM 2015: How Does HR Thrive? June 30, 2015
- Why ‘Ban the Box’ Trend Has Huge Impact on Employers December 17, 2015
- As 2018 ACA Reporting Deadline Approaches, What Employers Need to Know December 17, 2018
- 5 Ways Employers Can Keep the Holidays Happy December 14, 2018
- Host of 2018 Midterm Ballot Initiatives Will Impact the Workplace December 4, 2018
- Holiday Party Hazards for Employers to Avoid November 29, 2018
- 9 Ways to Recognize Risk in Your Employee Handbook for 2019 November 26, 2018
- Robert Teachout: Thank you for commenting on the vacation article. ...
- Thomasine H. Mitchell: What if I am a school teacher and my principal say...
- David Weisenfeld: That is true in the case of California's legaliza...
- David Weisenfeld: Thanks for your comment Fredrick. Tricky situation...
- Fredrick Carter: It will indeed be interesting to see how employers...
absence management ACA background checks ban the box business practices compliance discrimination EEOC employee benefits employee classification employee engagement employee handbooks employee leaves employee rights equal opportunities equal pay executive pay flexible working FLSA FMLA global hr Global HR harassment HR strategy immigration joint employer layoffs mergers and acquisitions minimum wage NLRB overtime paid sick leave reasonable accommodations recruiting recruiting and hiring religious accommodation retaliation salary history sex discrimination sexual harassment social media telecommuting wage and hour workplace safety workplace violence