Ashley Shaw May 29, 2014
Electronic cigarettes (a.k.a., e-cigarettes or e-cigs) are a growing trend in the US, including in the workplace. When it comes to these vaporized devices, there are a lot of questions: Are they actually healthier than regular cigarettes? Assuming they are… continue
David Weisenfeld May 15, 2014
It’s no secret that bullying is no longer simply the domain of the schoolyard. As many as 25 percent of US employees are reportedly harassed, threatened or attacked at work. There also are more than 1.5-million victims of workplace violence… continue
Michael Cardman May 6, 2014
Having workers sign an agreement in which they are classified as “independent contractors” does not make them so. As a headline-grabbing lawsuit filed by cheerleaders for an American football team illustrates, employers must also limit how much they direct and… continue
Marta Moakley April 25, 2014
Every state and the District of Columbia require that employers post certain information regarding employee rights in a conspicuous manner, and in a place accessible to and frequented by employees (and, in some cases, applicants or the public). These requirements… continue
David Weisenfeld April 18, 2014
The US Supreme Court will soon decide a case that could carve away at a key provision of the groundbreaking health care reform law known as the Affordable Care Act (ACA). XpertHR was inside the courtroom, and our latest podcast … continue
Michael Cardman March 21, 2014
With about 30 sessions spread over just two days, the Society for Human Resource Management’s 2014 Employment Law and Legislative Conference in Washington, D.C., offered more information than any one person could take in. Fortunately, social media provided observations and… continue
Melissa Burdorf March 19, 2014
Facing uncomfortable situations with employees is often part of the job description for supervisors and HR. But how do you address these situations effectively and avoid letting them turn into an even bigger workplace headache? In the final post of… continue
Melissa Burdorf March 18, 2014
It is much easier to avoid difficult situations in the workplace than to deal with them directly. But such a strategy provides no long-term solution and might only serve to make things worse, as many HR pros know all too… continue
Melissa Burdorf March 17, 2014
HR and supervisors often face uncomfortable situations in the workplace, whether it be giving an employee a negative performance review, dealing with an employee with a hygiene problem, or managing an employee with a negative attitude. In a three-part series… continue
Michael Cardman March 6, 2014
Click for infographic While President Obama stumps for an increase in the US federal minimum wage rate, an updated infographic from XpertHR illustrates the significant range of state minimum wage rates across the United States. From a low of… continue
Get Social with XpertHR
- Performance Management: The Importance of Being Honest October 11, 2012
- What Skills Do CHROs Need to Bring to the Table in 2016? January 29, 2016
- Reduce Workplace Absenteeism With Five Simple Steps June 1, 2015
- SHRM 2015: How Does HR Thrive? June 30, 2015
- Why ‘Ban the Box’ Trend Has Huge Impact on Employers December 17, 2015
- 6 Takeaways for Employers from the Starbucks Incident April 19, 2018
- Engage Your Employees Without Letting Them Drive the Bus, Says @TimSackett April 16, 2018
- Survey Says: Employers Have Heightened Concern With Sexual Harassment in 2018 April 13, 2018
- Develop Good Habits for Retaining Top Talent April 11, 2018
- Guns in the Workplace: What Should Employers Do Now? April 5, 2018
- David Weisenfeld: That is true in the case of California's legaliza...
- David Weisenfeld: Thanks for your comment Fredrick. Tricky situation...
- Fredrick Carter: It will indeed be interesting to see how employers...
- Keyrah: I am curious how some of these laws will be enforc...
- Frank: Just cancel the holidays. That's what it's comin...
absence management ACA background checks ban the box business practices compliance contingency planning discrimination diversity EEOC employee benefits employee classification employee communications employee engagement employee handbooks employee leaves employee rights equal opportunities equal pay executive pay FLSA FMLA Global HR global hr harassment HR strategy immigration joint employer layoffs mergers and acquisitions minimum wage NLRB overtime paid sick leave performance management reasonable accommodations recruiting retaliation sex discrimination sexual harassment social media telecommuting wage and hour workplace safety workplace violence