Beth Zoller February 13, 2014
With Valentine’s Day upon us, employers should realize that whether they like it or not, romance can and does abound in the workplace. According to a recent survey by the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), 43% of US… continue
David Weisenfeld February 4, 2014
In a new XpertHR Presents podcast, I went inside the US Supreme Court to attend the closely-watched case of NLRB v. Noel Canning, which could throw hundreds of labor board decisions into doubt that were issued between January 2012 and… continue
Ashley Shaw January 29, 2014
When blizzards coat huge portions of the US and snow is forecast in South Georgia and Florida of all places, you know there is an extreme weather event taking place. So what’s an employer to do? The latest Polar Vortex… continue
Beth Zoller January 24, 2014
Over the past year, all sorts of ugly workplace discrimination stories have reared their head. Whether it be the race discrimination case brought against celebrity chef Paula Deen, the $39-million sex discrimination settlement involving Merrill Lynch or the sexual orientation… continue
Marta Moakley January 17, 2014
Competitive benefit packages can serve as an excellent recruiting and retention tool, but did you know they can also be used to increase productivity? Certain retirement benefit plans may incentivize employees into becoming more efficient by granting them a stake… continue
Michael Cardman January 10, 2014
There are plenty of reasons to be scared about hiring independent contractors in the US these days: Fifteen states have partnered up with the federal government to go after employers that misclassify employees as independent contractors; The new US Secretary… continue
David Weisenfeld December 18, 2013
Many states in the US have gone to great lengths to restrict smoking in public places. In fact, some healthcare employers have taken things a step further and adopted no-hire policies for job applicants who smoke. But while federal law… continue
Michael Jacobson December 9, 2013
If you thought terminating an employee was hard, try terminating an employee who already resents you and with whom you share the dinner table! Following the traumatic (and literal) termination of Brian the Dog in the popular sit-com “Family Guy,”… continue
Melissa Burdorf December 4, 2013
Some multistate US employers may know they need to keep their eye on state laws throughout the country – but quickly become overwhelmed by the sheer number of rules and regulations coming out of the states where they operate. Understanding… continue
Marta Moakley November 22, 2013
Businesses are always seeking an edge in their particular industries, whether targeting a local US market or seeking additional global market share. Part of getting an edge may include offering applicants or employees a menu of workplace flexibility options to… continue
Get Social with XpertHR
- Performance Management: The Importance of Being Honest October 11, 2012
- What Skills Do CHROs Need to Bring to the Table in 2016? January 29, 2016
- Reduce Workplace Absenteeism With Five Simple Steps June 1, 2015
- SHRM 2015: How Does HR Thrive? June 30, 2015
- Why ‘Ban the Box’ Trend Has Huge Impact on Employers December 17, 2015
- Could the World Cup Produce a GOAALLLL in Your Workplace? July 13, 2018
- The Caregiver Crisis: How Employers Can Help July 5, 2018
- Paid Sick Leave Compliance: 7 Tips You Need to Know Now June 29, 2018
- How Employers Can Detect Lies and Deception: #SHRM18 June 21, 2018
- #SHRM18 Chicago: Never Forget Why People Matter June 19, 2018
- David Weisenfeld: That is true in the case of California's legaliza...
- David Weisenfeld: Thanks for your comment Fredrick. Tricky situation...
- Fredrick Carter: It will indeed be interesting to see how employers...
- Keyrah: I am curious how some of these laws will be enforc...
- David Weisenfeld: Thanks for your comment and good point!...
absence management ACA background checks ban the box business practices compliance contingency planning discrimination diversity EEOC employee benefits employee classification employee engagement employee handbooks employee leaves employee rights equal opportunities equal pay executive pay FLSA FMLA global hr Global HR harassment HR strategy immigration joint employer layoffs mergers and acquisitions minimum wage NLRB overtime paid sick leave performance management reasonable accommodations recruiting retaliation salary history sex discrimination sexual harassment social media telecommuting wage and hour workplace safety workplace violence