Tag Archives | harassment
Beth Zoller October 27, 2014
With the leaves changing color and the days getting shorter, Halloween is fast approaching. Halloween can present a number of scary challenges for employers, ranging from time off requests to workplace safety to potential sexual harassment liability and more. Here… continue
David Weisenfeld May 15, 2014
It’s no secret that bullying is no longer simply the domain of the schoolyard. As many as 25 percent of US employees are reportedly harassed, threatened or attacked at work. There also are more than 1.5-million victims of workplace violence… continue
Marta Moakley February 21, 2014
On February 19, my colleague Beth Zoller and I had the amazing opportunity to chat with @WeKnowNext during #Nextchat. As always, HR wisdom spread over the Twitterverse at breakneck speed. Indulge me as I continue to expound upon certain themes… continue
Beth Zoller February 13, 2014
With Valentine’s Day upon us, employers should realize that whether they like it or not, romance can and does abound in the workplace. According to a recent survey by the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), 43% of US… continue
Beth Zoller January 24, 2014
Over the past year, all sorts of ugly workplace discrimination stories have reared their head. Whether it be the race discrimination case brought against celebrity chef Paula Deen, the $39-million sex discrimination settlement involving Merrill Lynch or the sexual orientation… continue
David Weisenfeld November 19, 2013
Office holiday parties can be a great opportunity for team bonding and camaraderie, but they also present potential employment law hazards if boorish behavior results. A new XpertHR podcast features long-time US employment attorney and blogger Robin Shea discussing some… continue
Beth Zoller September 12, 2013
Women now make up over 50 percent of the workforce. Many of these women are pregnant employees and new mothers. With a significant number of women working later into their pregnancies than ever before, employers face a number of issues… continue
Beth Zoller July 19, 2013
Equal treatment for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community seemed like a pipe dream in 1996 when the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) was passed defining marriage as being between one man and one woman. But things came… continue
Beth Zoller April 15, 2013
The recent firing of Rutgers University basketball coach Mike Rice, but only after a video surfaced of him physically hitting players and hurling repeated homophobic epithets at them, is a virtual primer of what NOT to do from an employment… continue
Beth Zoller February 13, 2013
With Valentine’s Day approaching, many couples around the globe will celebrate with wine and roses. However, it seems as if each month there is a new story in the headlines about relationships in the workplace gone sour. Last month,… continue
Get Social with XpertHR
- Performance Management: The Importance of Being Honest October 11, 2012
- What Skills Do CHROs Need to Bring to the Table in 2016? January 29, 2016
- Reduce Workplace Absenteeism With Five Simple Steps June 1, 2015
- SHRM 2015: How Does HR Thrive? June 30, 2015
- Why ‘Ban the Box’ Trend Has Huge Impact on Employers December 17, 2015
- Celebrating LGBT Pride Month 2020 A Bit Differently June 1, 2020
- Returning At-Risk Employees to Work: Precautions to Take May 21, 2020
- What Post-Pandemic Workplaces May Look Like May 18, 2020
- Key Benefits Considerations for Employers Amid COVID-19: Part 2 May 13, 2020
- Key Benefits Considerations for Employers Amid COVID-19: Part 1 May 6, 2020
- Robert Teachout: Thank you for commenting on the vacation article. ...
- Thomasine H. Mitchell: What if I am a school teacher and my principal say...
- David Weisenfeld: That is true in the case of California's legaliza...
- David Weisenfeld: Thanks for your comment Fredrick. Tricky situation...
- Fredrick Carter: It will indeed be interesting to see how employers...
absence management background checks ban the box business practices compliance discrimination diversity diversity and inclusion employee benefits employee classification employee communications employee engagement employee handbooks employee leaves employee rights equal opportunities equal pay executive pay flexible working FLSA FMLA Global HR global hr harassment health and safety HR strategy immigration joint employer layoffs minimum wage NLRB OSHA overtime paid sick leave reasonable accommodations recruiting recruiting and hiring religious accommodation salary history sex discrimination sexual harassment social media telecommuting wage and hour workplace violence