Disabilities (ADA): West Virginia
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Michelle Barrett Falconer, Littler
- In addition to the federal equal opportunity laws, West Virginia employers must comply with the state antidiscrimination law, the West Virginia Human Rights Act. See Disability Discrimination in West Virginia.
- The West Virginia Human Rights Act applies to employers with 12 or more employees. See Covered Employers.
- The Act does not include drug or alcohol addiction in its definition of disability. See What Is a Disability?
- Employers are required to provide reasonable accommodations in connection with an employee's pregnancy and are prohibited from discriminating against an employee based upon her pregnancy. See Pregnant Workers Fairness Act.
- West Virginia permits the use of medical marijuana by registered patients with a serious health condition. See Medical Marijuana.
- Charleston has requirements pertaining to disability discrimination. See Local Requirements.