Drugs, Alcohol and Smoking: Louisiana
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: XpertHR Editorial Team
- Louisiana employers may prohibit drug and alcohol use in the workplace. See Drugs and Alcohol.
- Louisiana permits medical marijuana use in limited circumstances for therapeutic reasons for patients diagnosed with a debilitating medical condition. See Medical Marijuana.
- Employers may implement and enforce policies that prohibit the use, sale, possession, distribution, purchase and cultivation of drugs and alcohol in the workplace. See Drug and Alcohol Policies.
- Louisiana does not prohibit employers from testing employees and job applicants for drug and alcohol use or establishing testing policies. See Drug and Alcohol Testing.
- Smoking is prohibited in any enclosed area within a place of employment. See Smoking.
- "No smoking" signs must be posted in every place of employment where smoking is prohibited by law. See Postings.