Drugs, Alcohol and Smoking: Montana
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: XpertHR Editorial Team
- Employers in Montana may implement drug-free workplace policies. See Drugs and Alcohol.
- Montana permits the use of medical and recreational marijuana. See Marijuana.
- Employers may implement and enforce policies that prohibit the use, sale, possession, distribution, purchase and cultivation of drugs and alcohol in the workplace. See Drug and Alcohol Policies.
- Employers that choose to implement a testing program and follow the provisions of the Montana Workforce Drug and Alcohol Testing Act may be protected from liability in certain civil actions. See Drug and Alcohol Testing.
- The Montana Clean Indoor Act prohibits smoking in any enclosed public place, including workplaces. See Smoking.
- "No Smoking" signs must be conspicuously posted at workplace entrances. See Postings.
- Employers are not required to have a smoking policy but may implement one that prohibits smoking in the workplace. See Smoking Policies.