Drugs, Alcohol and Smoking: South Dakota
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: XpertHR Editorial Team
- South Dakota employers may prohibit drug and alcohol use in the workplace. See Drugs and Alcohol.
- Employers may implement and enforce policies that prohibit the use, sale, possession, distribution, purchase and cultivation of drugs and alcohol in the workplace. See Drug and Alcohol Policies.
- South Dakota permits the use of cannabis (marijuana) for medical purposes. See Medical Use of Cannabis.
- Employers in South Dakota are not prohibited from drug and alcohol testing of employees and job applicants. See Drug and Alcohol Testing.
- Smoking, including the use of e-cigarettes, is banned in all places of employment in South Dakota. See Smoking.
- "No Smoking" signs are not required to be posted. See Postings.
- Employers are not required to have a smoking policy, but may implement one that prohibits smoking in the workplace. See Smoking Policies.