Employee Privacy: Texas
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: William Denham, Shortt & Nguyen, PC
Updating Author: XpertHR Editorial Team
- Texas common law provides private-sector employees with rights to privacy that do not exist under federal law. See Common Law Rights.
- Texas statutes also provide private-sector employees with extensive protections to their personal information. See Protecting Employee Information.
- Texas statutes are also harsher on employers than federal laws for violating the state wiretapping statute. See Wiretapping and Recording.
- Texas has enacted a proof-of-vaccination ban. See COVID-19 Vaccine Documentation.
- Austin has requirements pertaining to privacy. See Local Requirements.