Employee Privacy: Virginia
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Jessica Sussman
- Under the Consumer Data Protection Act, employers doing business in Virginia or marketing to Virginians may need to modify their existing practices in order to comply with the law. See Consumer Data Protection Act.
- Virginia recognizes invasion of privacy torts. See Invasion of Privacy.
- Virginia law requires one party to the conversation consent for the contents may be recorded. See Telephone and Other Wire Surveillance (Wiretapping).
- There are restrictions on videotaping employees in Virginia. See Video Surveillance.
- An employee may search an employee under certain circumstances. See Search and Seizure.
- Virginia law restricts inquiries into an applicant's background. See Background Checks.
- Virginia employers are required to inform employees of breaches to the security of employee data. See Security Breaches
- Virginia law protects the social media privacy of employees and applicants. See Social Media Privacy