Insurance and Disability Benefits: California
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Gloria Ju
- California employers are not required to provide life insurance benefits. If life insurance benefits are provided, certain requirements must be met. See Group Life Insurance.
- If a California employer offers group life insurance, premiums for the policies may be paid by different sources. See Employer Contribution and Coverage Requirements.
- Employees are entitled to a minimum grace period for paying premiums. See Grace Period.
- Group life insurance policies may be converted to individual policies under some circumstances. See Conversion Rights.
- California's State Disability Insurance (SDI) program provides up to 52 weeks of partial wage replacement for employees who are unable to work due to a nonwork injury or illness, including pregnancy-related conditions. See Temporary Disability Insurance.
- The SDI program also includes a Paid Family Leave (PFL) Insurance program. See Paid Family Leave Insurance.