Insurance and Disability Benefits: Maryland
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Gloria Ju
- Maryland employers are not required to provide life insurance benefits. If life insurance benefits are provided, certain requirements must be met. See Group Life Insurance.
- If a Maryland employer offers group life insurance, premiums for the policies may be paid from different sources. See Employer Contribution and Coverage Requirements.
- Employees are entitled to a minimum grace period for paying premiums, except the first. See Grace Period.
- Group life insurance policies may be converted to individual policies under some circumstances. See Conversion Rights.
- Group life insurance policies in Maryland may not discriminate against deaths related to acts of terrorism that the individual did not commit or participate in. See Nondiscrimination.