Insurance and Disability Benefits: New York
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Gloria Ju
- New York employers are not required to provide life insurance benefits. If life insurance benefits are provided, certain requirements must be met. See Group Life Insurance.
- If a New York employer offers group life insurance, premiums for the policies may be paid from different sources. See Employer Contribution and Coverage Requirements.
- Group life insurance policies may be converted to individual policies under some circumstances. See Conversion Rights.
- New York's temporary disability benefits law provides up to 26 weeks of partial wage replacement to eligible employees who cannot work due to a nonwork-related injury or illness or a pregnancy-related disability. See Temporary Disability Benefits.
- New York provides for paid family leave (PFL) benefits. See Paid Family Leave Insurance.