This is a preview. To continue reading, register for free access now. Register Now or Log in

New Hire Paperwork: Kansas

New Hire Paperwork requirements for other states

Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.

Authors: Alan L. Rupe and Aaron Sauerwein, Kutak Rock LLP


  • Kansas requires employers to obtain a completed Form K-4, in addition to federal Form W-4, to assist employees in calculating the Kansas employer withholding tax rate. See Form K-4.
  • In addition to state required documents, there are several types of documents that employers should obtain from new employees, such as signed acknowledgements regarding the employer's policies, procedures and/or handbooks; with respect to at-will employees, a signed acknowledgement that the employee is at-will for no fixed duration; and/or requesting completed job applications. See Other New Hire Paperwork.