Process of Termination: Alabama
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: XpertHR Editorial Team
- Employment relationships in Alabama are presumed to be at-will, meaning the relationship can be terminated by either party, at any time, with or without cause. See Termination for Cause.
- To establish a claim of constructive discharge or forced resignation, Alabama employees must meet a specific evidentiary burden. See Constructive Discharge.
- Alabama employees who provide advance notice of resignation are not protected by legislation requiring employers to retain them beyond the date of resignation. See Notice of Resignation.
- If an employee resigns with accrued benefits including vacation pay or paid time off, the employer is generally not required to compensate the employee for unused benefits in Alabama. See Termination Pay and Unused Benefits.
- Alabama employers with vaccine mandates must provide employees with an opportunity to claim a religious or medical exemption before terminating them. See COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate Exemptions.