Unemployment Insurance: Virginia
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Robbie McKeon
- Most employers doing business in Virginia are subject to the Virginia Unemployment Compensation Act. See Employer Coverage.
- Unemployed individuals must meet certain requirements in order to be eligible for full unemployment benefits. See Employee Eligibility.
- Unemployment benefits generally last for up to 26 weeks. See Benefits.
- When a benefits claim is filed, the employer must complete a form sent by the state. See Filing Claims.
- Employers must follow specified notice, posting and recordkeeping requirements. See Notice and Posting Requirements; Recordkeeping Requirements.