Child Labor: Iowa
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Authors: Stuart R. Buttrick, Susan W. Kline and Rozlyn Fulgoni-Britton, Faegre Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP
- Iowa regulates the employment of minors under age 18.
- Iowa law explicitly limits the types of occupations in which minors can work, depending on their ages. See Prohibited Occupations.
- Minors' available work hours are limited depending on their ages. See Hours of Work.
- Employers must provide certain minors with 30-minute breaks. See Break Periods.
- Employers are required to receive work permits for minors. See Employment Certificates.