Depositing and Reporting Withheld Taxes: Alabama
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Vicki M. Lambert, The Payroll Advisor
- Alabama has two tax deposit thresholds and schedules. All employers are required to make quarterly deposits unless the employer has withheld more than $1,000 in either the first or second month of the quarter. Employers that withhold more than $1,000 in either the first or second month of the quarter are required to deposit monthly. See Deposit Thresholds and Schedules.
- Employers must use specific state forms to file monthly, quarterly and annual reports of withheld taxes. See Forms; Annual Reconciliation Forms and Filing Deadlines.
- Form A-1 is due by the last day of the month following the end of the quarter, even if no tax has been withheld. Monthly withholding returns, Forms A-6, are due by the 15th of the month following the month in which the tax withheld. See Deposit and Filing Due Dates.
- Certain employers are required to file withholding tax returns and make tax deposits electronically. See Electronic Deposit Requirements.
- Most employers must file Forms W-2 electronically. See Form W-2 Filing Requirements.
- Penalties are imposed for failure to comply with the income tax depositing and filing requirements. See Penalties.