Depositing and Reporting Withheld Taxes: Maine
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Vicki M. Lambert, The Payroll Advisor
- Two withholding tax deposit schedules apply in Maine: semiweekly and quarterly. An employer's schedule depends on how much it withheld during the lookback period. See Deposit Schedules.
- The due date for semiweekly payments is based on when wages are paid by the employer. Quarterly returns and payments must be filed together by all employers registered to remit withheld income tax. See Deposit and Filing Due Dates.
- Penalties are imposed for late payments of tax, late filing of returns and failure to pay electronically. See Penalties.
- Certain employers must remit all Maine tax payments electronically. See Electronic Deposit Requirements.
- All Maine employers must file an annual reconciliation return. See Annual Reconciliation Forms and Filing Deadlines.
- All Forms W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, must be filed electronically. See Form W-2 Filing Requirements.