Depositing and Reporting Withheld Taxes: Maryland
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Vicki M. Lambert, The Payroll Advisor
- An employer's filing frequency depends on how much the employer withholds during certain time periods. See Filing Frequencies.
- Penalties are imposed for failure to comply with the tax depositing and filing requirements. See Penalties.
- Certain employers are required to make deposits by electronic funds transfer (EFT). See Electronic Deposit Requirements.
- Maryland employers must file an annual year-end reconciliation if filing paper copies of Form W-2. Certain employers must file the return electronically. See Annual Reconciliation Forms and Filing Deadlines.
- Most employers must file Forms W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, electronically. See Form W-2 Filing Requirements.