Disabilities (ADA): Florida
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Michelle Barrett Falconer, Littler
- In addition to the federal equal opportunity laws, Florida employers must comply with a number of state and local antidiscrimination statutes, including the Florida Civil Rights Act of 1992. See The Florida Civil Rights Act.
- Florida law prohibits discrimination against individuals with a handicap, sickle-cell traits, and HIV or AIDS. See The Florida Civil Rights Act; Sickle Cell Trait; The Florida AIDS Act.
- In addition, Florida law contains a specific prohibition against performing any DNA analysis or genetic testing on individuals without that individual's informed consent, except for some limited purposes. See Genetic Testing.
- Florida permits the use of medical marijuana for debilitating medical conditions. See Medical Marijuana.
- Localities including Broward County, Key West and Miami-Dade County have requirements pertaining to disability discrimination. See Local Requirements.