Disabilities (ADA): New Jersey
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Authors: Alison B. Andolena and Michelle Barrett Falconer, Littler
- In addition to the federal equal opportunity laws, New Jersey employers must comply with the New Jersey Law Against Discrimination. See The New Jersey Law Against Discrimination and Disability.
- New Jersey law provides broader protections than federal equal opportunity laws. See Definition of Disability; Additional Protections.
- Employers must provide reasonable workplace accommodations to employees who are pregnant or breastfeeding. See Pregnant Workers.
- Unlike federal equal opportunity laws, New Jersey law does not require the exhaustion of administrative remedies. See Administrative Process.
- New Jersey permits the use of medical cannabis. See New Jersey Medicinal Cannabis Program.