Disabilities (ADA): Pennsylvania
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Authors: Michelle Barrett Falconer, Littler
- In addition to the federal equal opportunity laws, Pennsylvania employers must comply with a number of state antidiscrimination laws, including the Pennsylvania Human Relations Act. See Disability Discrimination in Pennsylvania.
- Pennsylvania law prohibits discrimination against individuals with a handicap. See Pennsylvania Human Relations Act.
- Pennsylvania permits the use of medical marijuana. See Medical Marijuana Act.
- Pennsylvania law prohibits an employer from discriminating against an individual because the individual uses a guide or support animal. See Service Animals.
- Localities including Allegheny County, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh have requirements pertaining to disability discrimination and pregnancy accommodation. See Local Requirements.