Drugs, Alcohol and Smoking: Alabama
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: XpertHR Editorial Team
- Alabama employers may prohibit drug and alcohol use in the workplace. See Drugs and Alcohol.
- Alabama permits the use of medical cannabis (marijuana) and cannabidiol for certain conditions.See Medical Cannabis.
- Employers may implement and enforce policies that prohibit the use, sale, possession, distribution, purchase and cultivation of drugs and alcohol in the workplace. See Drug and Alcohol Policies.
- Alabama does not prohibit drug and alcohol testing of employees or job applicants, and employers may establish their own testing policies. See Drug and Alcohol Testing.
- Employers with five or more employees have the right to create and maintain a smoking policy that designates specific smoking areas within the workplace or which bans smoking from the workplace altogether. See Smoking.
- "No Smoking" signs must be prominently posted and properly maintained where smoking is prohibited. See Postings.