Drugs, Alcohol and Smoking: Delaware
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: XpertHR Editorial Team
- Delaware employers may implement drug-free workplace policies. See Drugs and Alcohol.
- The Delaware Medical Marijuana Act permits registered patients with a debilitating medical condition to use marijuana for medicinal purposes. See Medical Marijuana.
- Employers may implement and enforce policies that prohibit the use, sale, possession, distribution, purchase and cultivation of drugs and alcohol in the workplace. See Drug and Alcohol Policies.
- Employers in Delaware are not prohibited from conducting drug and alcohol testing of employees or job applicants. See Testing.
- Delaware's Clean Indoor Air Act prohibits smoking (including electronic smoking devices) in most workplaces. See Smoking.
- Signs must be prominently posted and properly maintained wherever smoking is allowed. See Postings.
- Employers are not required to have a smoking policy, but may implement one that prohibits smoking in the workplace. See Smoking Policies.