Drugs, Alcohol and Smoking: Kentucky
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: XpertHR Editorial Team
- Kentucky employers may prohibit drug and alcohol use in the workplace. See Drugs and Alcohol.
- Kentucky law permits the use of a form of medical marijuana under very limited circumstances. See Medical Marijuana.
- Employers may implement and enforce policies that prohibit the use, sale, possession, distribution, purchase and cultivation of drugs and alcohol in the workplace. See Drug and Alcohol Policies.
- Employers in Kentucky are not prohibited from conducting drug and alcohol testing of employees and job applicants. See Drug and Alcohol Testing.
- Kentucky encourages employers to participate in substance use disorder treatment programs for employees who fail employment-related drug screens. See Drug Testing and Substance Use Treatment Programs.
- A covered employer may not discriminate on the basis of an individual's status as a smoker or nonsmoker. See Smoking.