Drugs, Alcohol and Smoking: Texas
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: XpertHR Editorial Team
- Texas employers may implement drug-free workplace policies. See Drugs and Alcohol.
- The Texas Compassionate-Use Act allows a Texas resident to be prescribed low-THC cannabis for medical use under certain conditions. See Medical Use of Cannabis.
- Employers in Texas are not prohibited from conducting drug and alcohol testing of employees or job applicants. See Testing.
- Texas does not require employers to prohibit smoking in the workplace, but several localities have enacted workplace smoking bans. See Smoking.
- A "No Smoking" sign is not required. However, an employer may post one where smoking is prohibited. See Postings.
- Employers are not required to have a smoking policy, but may implement one that prohibits smoking in the workplace. See Smoking Policies.
- Austin and Grand Prairie have requirements pertaining to smoking. See Local Requirements.