Drugs, Alcohol and Smoking: Virginia
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: XpertHR Editorial Team
- Virginia employers may implement drug-free workplace policies. See Drugs and Alcohol.
- Virginia permits limited medical use of cannabis oil. See Marijuana.
- Employers may implement and enforce policies that prohibit the use, sale, possession, distribution, purchase and cultivation of drugs and alcohol in the workplace. See Drug and Alcohol Policies.
- Employers in Virginia are not prohibited from drug and alcohol testing of employees and job applicants. See Drug and Alcohol Testing.
- The Virginia Indoor Clean Air Act does not broadly apply to all workplaces. See Smoking.
- "No Smoking" signs must be posted by restaurants and limited other establishments. See Postings.
- Employers are not required to have a smoking policy, but may implement one that prohibits smoking in the workplace. See Smoking Policies.