EEO - Affirmative Action: New York
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
- Affirmative action is not required for private employers in New York but all private employers are subject to the provisions of the New York State Human Rights Law (NYSHRL). See Private Sector Employers.
- State agencies are required to adopt and implement affirmative action programs. See Public Sector Employers and State Contractors.
- The 2010 Business Diversification Act amended New York's affirmative action law by establishing numerous measures designed to increase the participation of Minority and Women-Owned Business Enterprises in state contracting. See 2010 Business Diversification Act.
- The Transportation Infrastructure Renewal Bond Act of 1983 authorizes the governor to establish procedures and guidelines requiring contractors and subcontractors implement affirmative action programs. See Transportation Infrastructure Renewal Bond Act of 1983.
- New York City has requirements pertaining to affirmative action. See Local Requirements.