EEO - Discrimination: Virginia
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
- Virginia has two state agencies that handle employment discrimination claims: the Virginia Office for Protection and Advocacy and the Office of Civil Rights within the Office of the Attorney General. See Governing Law and Investigatory Agencies.
- The Virginians with Disabilities Act prohibits discrimination based on disabilities. See Virginians with Disabilities Act.
- The Virginia Human Rights Act extends antidiscrimination protections to smaller employers than federal law. See Virginia Human Rights Act.
- Virginia requires equal pay based on gender. See Equal Pay.
- Virginia offers additional protections to various groups such as veterans and members of the military. See Other Protections.
- Localities including Alexandria and Fairfax County have requirements pertaining to discrimination. See Local Requirements.