EEO - Discrimination: Virginia
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
- Virginia has two state agencies that handle employment discrimination claims the Virginia Office for Protection and Advocacy and the Division of Human Rights of the Department of Law. See Governing Law and Investigatory Agencies.
- The Virginians with Disabilities Act prohibits discrimination based on disabilities. See Virginians with Disabilities Act.
- The Virginia Human Rights Act extends antidiscrimination protections to smaller employers.Virginia Human Rights Act.
- Virginia requires equal pay based on gender. See Equal Pay.
- Localities including Alexandria and Fairfax County have requirements pertaining to discrimination. See Local Requirements.