EEO - Harassment: Iowa
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Authors: Stuart R. Buttrick, Susan W. Kline and Lindsey M. Hogan, Faegre Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP
- The Iowa Civil Rights Act (ICRA) governs harassment claims. See Harassment Under Iowa Civil Rights Act.
- The Iowa Civil Rights Act does not apply to all employers. See Covered Employers.
- The ICRA defines harassment and a hostile work environment. See Definition of Harassment; Hostile Work Environment.
- The ICRA explains what an employee must prove to demonstrate a hostile work environment. See Hostile Work Environment.
- The Iowa Civil Rights Commission enforces the Iowa Civil Rights Act and has certain duties. See Iowa Civil Rights Commission.
- The ICRA offers remedies for employees who have suffered harassment. See Commission Investigations.
- Employees who elect to file a lawsuit, based on harassment, may do so at the appropriate time, and may receive damages different from Title VII damages. See Civil Action.