EEO - Retaliation: Washington
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Michael Brunet, Garvey Schubert Barer
- Retaliation claims in Washington are governed by the Washington Law Against Discrimination (WLAD). See Retaliation Under the Washington Law Against Discrimination.
- Retaliation claims under the WLAD follow the same basic framework as retaliation claims under Title VII. See Retaliation Under the Washington Law Against Discrimination.
- Individuals acting in the interest of an employer can be personally liable for violations of the WLAD. See Individual Liability.
- Employees not covered by WLAD may also bring retaliation claims under a cause of action for wrongful discharge in violation of public policy. See Common Law Retaliation Claims.
- Localities including Seattle and Spokane have requirements pertaining to retaliation. See Local Requirements.