Employee Communications: Missouri
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
- Missouri is an at-will employment state. See Employment At-Will.
- Missouri law requires employers to post certain notices. See Notice Posting.
- Missouri law only requires that one party consent to the recording of wire communications. See Employee Use of Communication Systems.
- Missouri law restricts the use of mobile devices while driving. See Use of Mobile Devices.
- Employers may face liability when providing job references. Employers must refrain from blacklisting former employees, and meet the requirements of the Missouri service letter statute. See Job References.
- Missouri law permits employers to enforce restrictive employment covenants to the extent that the restrictions protect the employer's trade secrets or customer contacts. See Noncompete Agreements.
- Missouri courts recognize defamation claims. See Defamation Concerns.