Employee Discipline: Maine
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Glenn Israel, Bernstein Shur Sawyer & Nelson, PA
- The State of Maine permits recording of conversations with the consent of one party. See Recording Conversations.
- The State of Maine prohibits employment discrimination based upon broader categories than those covered by federal law. See Employee Discipline and Discrimination.
- Maine law prohibits retaliation against employees who engage in protected activities. See Retaliation and Whistleblower Protections.
- Generally, Maine employers are prohibited from requiring polygraph testing of employees. See Polygraph Testing.
- The State of Maine regulates drug testing of employees. See Drug Testing.
- An employer may not discriminate against employees for smoking or using any other legal tobacco products while off-duty. See Off-Duty Activities.
- Portland has requirements pertaining to employee discipline. See Local Requirements.