Employee Handbooks - Work Rules - Employee Conduct: Alabama
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: J. Day Peake III, Phelps Dunbar LLP
- Alabama is an employment at-will state, although there are exceptions which may alter the status of the employment relationship. See At-Will Employment.
- Alabama offers protection for nursing mothers which affects employment policies on breastfeeding in the workplace. See Nursing Mothers.
- The Alabama Clean Indoor Air Act governs rights to implement smoking policies in the workplace. See Smoking and Drug Use in the Workplace.
- A public employee's right to political free speech has its limits. One Alabama statute governs the extent to which a public employee may exercise such rights. See Public Employee Limits on Political Free Speech.
- The State offers some regulations and statutes concerning leave and attendance policies in addition to the general federal scheme. See Work Rules Regarding Employee Work Schedules.