Employee Handbooks - Work Rules - Employee Conduct: Maryland
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Frank L. Kollman, Kollman & Saucier, PA
- Maryland is an at-will state. See At-Will Nature of Employment.
- The Maryland Occupational Safety and Health Act bans smoking in the workplace. See Safety and Health.
- Maryland employers may administer drug and alcohol testing. See Drug and Alcohol Testing.
- Maryland has a wiretapping statute that prohibits an individual from recording a conversation without the consent of all the parties to the conversation. Internet communications may be subject to the Maryland wiretap law. See Electronic Monitoring of Employees.
- Baltimore and Montgomery County have requirements pertaining to employee handbooks and workplace policies. See Local Requirements.