Employee Handbooks - Work Rules - Employee Conduct: Utah
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Erik Strindberg, Strindberg and Scholnick, LLC
- Utah is an employment-at-will state. See Employment At-Will.
- Under certain circumstances, employee handbooks constitute implied contracts which may be enforced against the employer. See Implied in Fact Contracts.
- Utah employers must advise employees in writing if they seek to conduct drug and alcohol testing. See Drug and Alcohol Testing.
- The Utah Clean Air Act bans smoking in the workplace. See Smoking.
- Employers should have written policies regarding paid time off, deductions from wages, and final paychecks. See Work Rules Regarding Pay and Deductions.